The Armstrong House, a sprawling 25,000 square foot mansion at the north end of Forsyth Park, is the only Savannah home deemed by architectural authorities as a true example of Italian Renaissance Revival style. It is as storied as Savannah itself. The mansion was designed in 1917 by famed Beaux Arts architect Henrik Wallin for shipping magnate George Ferguson Armstrong . To this day, it remains the largest residential building in the city, though it wasn't always used as a private home. Armstrong's wife Lucy donated the mansion to the city for what would become Armstrong Junior College. In the 1960s, antiques dealer Jim Williams of Midnight in the Garden of Good an Evil fame purchased the property. A few years later Bouhan, Williams & Levy law firm leased the mansion for its offices. In 2017, a century after its construction, luxury hotelier Richard Kessler purchased the Armstrong House and is currently restoring the property to once again serve as a private residence.
1917 George Ferguson Armstrong commissions renowned Beaux Arts architect, Henrik Wallin, to start the design of the mansion.
1924 George Ferguson Armstrong dies
1935 Armstrong’s wife, Lucy May Camp Armstrong donates the mansion to the city of Savannah to be used as Armstrong Junior College
1938 Henrik Wallin completes the Herschel V. Jenkins Auditorium on the site of the unfinished gardens as his last project
1966 antiques dealer, Jim Williams, purchases the property and demolishes Jenkins Auditorium
1970 Bouhan, Williams and Levy Law Firm leases the mansion from the Armstrong House Trust
2017 Luxury hotelier, Richard C. Kessler, purchases the property as his private residence and commences massive renovations