· WTVM signed-on for the first time on October 6, 1953, as WDAK-TV, an NBC affiliate.
· WTVM was originally located on 1st Avenue in Downtown Columbus.
· WTVM was originally owned by Allen Woodall Sr. and Martin Theaters.
· WDAK/WTVM was the first television station in the Columbus market
· WDAK/WTVM is also the fifth-oldest in the state of Georgia and second-oldest outside Atlanta.
· 1956 - WDAK was changed to WTVM.
· 1960 - WTVM moved to channel 9 and switched its primary affiliation to ABC.
· 1969 – J.B Fuqua purchased Martin Theaters and WTVM
· 1970 - WTVM moved to its current location on Wynnton Rd in Columbus.
· 1989 – AFLAC purchased WTVM
· 2012 – WTVM and WXTX begin airing newscasts in High Definition
What Major Events Happened in 1953?
Top 10 TV Shows in 1953
1. I Love Lucy (CBS)
2. Dragnet (NBC)
3. Arthur Godfrey's Talent Scouts (CBS)
4. You Bet Your Life (NBC)
5. The Milton Berle Show (NBC)
6. Arthur Godfrey and his Friends (CBS)
7. Ford Theatre (NBC)
8. The Jackie Gleason Show ((CBS)
9. Fireside Theatre (NBC)
10. The Colgate Comedy Hour (NBC)
Cost of Living in 1953?
Average Annual Income: $4,011
Brand New Car: $1537-$2403
Gallon of Milk: $.94
Gallon of Gas: $.22
Loaf of Bread $.16
Postage Stamp: $.03
10- lb bag sugar: $ .89
12 oz. jar of Libby’s pickles $.25
16 oz. jar Kraft Cheese Whiz : $.57
Romaine Lettuce: $ .10 lb
Enjoy these memories from the last 66 years, and check back often for new additions!
Journey through our digital history with a look at how wtvm.com has changed over the years.
We know that WTVM has been a part of your life for many years. Share your WTVM memories with us so we can learn more about our history!